Item 1: Wombuk = Chinese or Napa Cabbage. If anyone speaks Chinese, maybe you can tell me if the word for cabbage sounds like wombuk. Otherwise, no idea why . . .
Item 2: Rockmelon = Canteloupe. I guess because they look like rocks?
Item 3: Rocket = Arugula. My first encounter with rocket was when we were visiting Australia when I was pregnant with Isaac. I was desperately sick from the pregnancy and really careful about what I put in my mouth. My sisters-in-law took me to lunch at a cafe, and there was a sandwich on the menu that had rocket on it. I asked them what rocket was, and they said, "It's just rocket - it's green." I think it's also sometimes spelled "roquette".
My favourite guess for this one was carrots, because carrots look like rockets! Makes perfect sense.
Item 4: Pumpkin = Winter Squash. They also sell "butternut pumpkin". I wish they would sell "acorn pumpkin." Miss those! I made my Thanksgiving pumpkin pie out of a Kent pumpkin. It was delicious.
Item 5: Capsicums = Peppers. Red capsicums are red peppers, green capsicums = green peppers. Capsicum is the scientific name for peppers. The stuff that makes peppers spicy is called capsaicin
Item 6: Swedes = Rutabagas. I can't say I've ever eaten one, but my research has turned up recipes for rutabaga pie, and I think people mash them like potatoes. I had thought they were turnips.
To follow up on the inspiration for this blog post - I asked Joel where he thought applesauce should be found in the store. He thought for a moment, and said, "I'd guess by the condiments - tomato sauce, soy sauce, etc. Because it's apple sauce."
I argued back, "But applesauce isn't a condiment, it's a side dish or a snack food or baby food."
His reply, "Australians are a very literal people."
No comments:
Post a Comment