Before the race, I was super worried about headwear. The invitation said "strictly cocktail." I know from looking at pictures that most women wear fascinators to the races. American's don't usually do fascinators, so I was really flying blind as to what sort would work for the venue and for me. The kids and I were in the city at a skatepark, so after we skated I dragged them to Myer, a department store, to find something to wear on my head. They didn't have much of a selection, and every fascinator just looked ridiculous on me. I settled on a nice big hat with a bow on it.
![]() |
Almost as bad as me in a fascinator. |
The day did not start auspiciously. I was supposed to have a sitter coming at 11. The sitter's mum rang me up at 10:30 to say the girl was very unwell and couldn't sit. The mum was super nice, and offered to babysit for me in her daughter's place if I couldn't find anyone else. Desperate, I called the home of a friend of Isaac's. Isaac's friend has three older sisters. I asked that mum if any of the girls would like to sit for the kids in, oh, 20 minutes. While I'm doing this, I'm running around the house with hair done, makeup on, Spanx in place and freaking out. The conversation went like this:
Sitter's Mum Vered: Noga is working with her father today, but Hagar is home and might want to do it.
Me: Great!
Vered: Oh, but I'm not there to drive her to your house.
Me: I will pick her up!
Vered: Oh, but she's watching Yotam (Isaac's friend) today.
Me: Yotam can come too!
It all ended up working beautifully, and we only left the house 45 minutes later than we planned. Hagar was a great sitter - very conscientious about sunscreen and got them all outside to the park to play before it hit 30 C. Yotam and Isaac got a super-long playdate. The only downside - the boys pretty much emptied the fridge so I had to shop again the next day. If this is what they eat like when they're eight and nine, I can't wait until Isaac's a teenager and brings his friends over.
Back to the races: Flemington Racecourse is gorgeous. It's a nicely updated 2.1 km. track on the west side of the city. It took us about 40 minutes to drive there. It has about seven levels of different clubs you can go to in the grandstand, plus there's the grassy area near the track where everyone else goes. We got to go to the tiptop of the grandstand. It was pretty cool.
![]() |
Main Gate |
![]() |
The Grandstand |
Just like any other trip to the races, there's the seedy underbelly of gambling and losing money. Betting on a horse because you like the name is never a good idea.
![]() |
Go Rich River, go!! |
![]() |
"And bringing up the rear, Rich River." Awesome. |
![]() |
Men's fashion show |
![]() |
Women's fashion show. Sorry it's blurry. Didn't want to seem creepy taking photos of strangers so I was trying to hurry. |
![]() |
Two of my favorites to win. They were robbed by a woman wearing all white, who I think didn't show nearly the creativity or fashion daring. Wish I could wear a fascinator this gracefully. |
![]() |
The view of Melbourne and the track from the top of the Grandstand. |
![]() |
Inside the Peak of the Grandstand |
I made a few bets, but it wasn't a very lucky day. The one bet I made that made money was for my dad, who, in commemoration of a fantastic Kentucky Derby bet he made back in the day, earned me $4.
![]() |
Thanks for the hot tip, Dad! |












For all of the readers, a memory: About 15 years ago Marla and I went to Canterbury Downs to bet on the Kentucky Derby. We bet on a horse named Strike the Gold, which Won! So I advised Marla to bet on any horse with "gold" in it's name. So Marla money and my handicapping system is validated!
ReplyDelete