Monday, 14 September 2020

Update from Aus: The end of lockdown is in sight

Yes, still locked down. Twelve more days. How else can we count it?  I have 52 'reusable' plastic shopping bags from grocery deliveries and click and collect. In theory, I will be able to use them again sometime. We are on our second 1000-piece puzzle. I have taught a total of 103 days online. Joel is working 2pm to 10pm, or whenever he finishes, and the puppy gets 10K of walking a day. I owe the Australian government $745 taxes for my Medicaid surcharge. I spent $110 on replacement styluses this year. There is still about 10 cubic metres of dirt in my driveway.


The most important numbers: To get out of this stage of lockdown our 14-day new infection average needs to be below 50. In 12 days. It's currently at 56.6. We can do it!

Once we are out of lockdown, the students from P-3 and 10-12 are back to school on 12 October (after term break), the rest are remote for two more weeks. 26 October, we're all back, barring any third wave. The third wave could still happen. There are heaps of people 'wearing' masks below their noses, others who walk around wearing them on their chins, but carrying a cup of coffee - 'I don't have to wear the mask, I'm drinking!'. Still others riding a bike oh so slowly so they can take advantage of the exception for bike riders not required to wear masks.  I walk faster than these bikers.And even more protesting losing their 'freedom' by walking around in big groups without masks. Yet despite them, the numbers are going down.

Lockdown gives you time to do all sorts of stuff you would otherwise put aside. I'm reorganizing my pantry. I'm writing a whole freaking course of Canvas pages. I'm filling bags and bags of stuff to give to the Salvation Army, once the Salvation Army reopens. I'm baking things that require yeast. I'm buying way too many things online - Masks! More puzzles! Mask frames! Flip flops! Books! Bagels! Dog toys!  I'm  sorting through all the crafting supplies. I'm hanging pictures. I'm planning an elaborate road trip around Victoria for Christmas. which will probably be the earliest we will be allowed to leave Melbourne. I want to see the Giant Murray Cod and Big Ned Kelly and Giant Forks stabbing Giant Potatoes.

Swan Hill



Kids are still in school, and doing very well. The schools here have done online learning well using Microsoft Teams. Aside from one gigantic syncing fail on OneNote for me, it's been as successful as one can hope, but more exhausting than I thought possible. Once their holidays start on Friday, though, I think the kids will be bored. I will find other things for them to organize. And the dog could probably stand to walk a few more kms. 

Spring has come - crocuses and lilacs everywhere, temps going up, Covid numbers going down Twelve more days. We can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment