I need to go to the gyn. The reason isn't important, just that I need to go. In order to do this, I had to visit my GP to get a referral. The referral names a specific doctor.
I called the doctor's office today, and asked to make an appointment. Here is the conversation I had with the receptionist:
Me: Hello, I need to make an appointment to ______________________
Her: (SIGH). Well, are you a new patient? A returning patient? Do you have a referral?
Me: Oh, I'm sorry. Yes, I have a referral to Dr G and I am a new patient.
Her: (SIGH). I'm quite sure I don't have anything with her until well after Christmas.
Me: I would be fine seeing any of the doctors in your practice, if my referral will cover that.
Her: (SIGH, annoyed voice): Well, I don't have anything with THEM either.
long silence.
Me: Hmmm. When is your first opening please?
Her (SIGH) The first opening I see is for January 22.
Me: Wow, that is late. Can I get on a cancellation list?
Her: (annoyed voice) Well, to do that, you need an appointment.
Me: Well, I can take the January 22 appointment, and then you can put me on the cancellation list, yes?
Her: Look, even the cancellation list is really long. I don't see the point of doing that.
long silence.
Me: Okay, I'm a little new at this whole referral process. Can you explain to me - if there is absolutely no room for your doctors to see anyone for the next two months, can I use my referral at a different practice? I had to see my GP twice to get this referral and really don't want to visit them again.
Her (seriously annoyed, raising voice): Well, how should I know that? I mean, how long is a piece of string? I mean, WE would NEVER accept referrals from other doctors, but maybe OTHER practices will.
And at this point I just hung up.
So what do you think? Rude or am I just the boorish American who is asking too much by expecting a doctor's receptionist to, you know, make appointments?
I am finding this entire process really labourious. I don't understand how GPs can efficiently make referrals if they have no idea how booked up these doctors are. I had to call my GP back and ask for a new referral. My doctor was out that day - taking some personal time, because Australia - so I still have to wait to talk to her tomorrow about another referral, and I'm guessing there's no guarantee they won't be able to see me right away either . . . how is this a good use of taxpayer money??
No comments:
Post a Comment