Math = Maths
Slope = Gradient
"Pi over 3" = "Pi on 3"
"Negative 9" = "Minus 9"
Trig functions = Circular functions
Zero product property = Null factor hypothesis
Today, my first day with my very bright year 10 students, I was schooled but good on other maths vocabulary I hadn't yet picked up.
variable = pronumeral
power = index
"three to the fourth power" = "three to the power of four"
"x to the fourth power" = "x-four"
(yes, you can probably hear the howling in my head from wherever you are right now on that one)
Irrational number = Surds
This last one really flummoxed me; the rest one could reasonably trace the origin from American to Australian, or vice versa. Surds - no idea. I asked another maths teacher what surds were, and he said "irrational numbers," then asked what I would call them. I replied, "Um . . . irrational numbers?" I can find no decent etymological explanation for this one, and I feel ridiculous saying it, but it's in the textbook and everything.
This bothered me, too, because if I can't use a dot to indicate multiplication, only an x, I can see great opportunity for confusion in simplification problems. The x and script x are too close, in my opinion. Strange that no one in Australia has asked for my opinion yet, after my big one day teaching . . .
Joel thinks any of these terms are optional, that he learned "variable" not "pronumeral", and wonders if the boys were just messing with me. But Australia has a national curriculum that I'm pretty certain has come out since Joel has graduated high school, so required vocabulary could have changed.
Matrices are up next. Vocabulary looks pretty familiar. Thank goodness.
No comments:
Post a Comment